Email list building is the bedrock of effective email marketing if you are interested in getting more customers, maximizing lifetime customer value, and growing your business.
Email marketing is one of the ways through which you can communicate effectively with potential prospects, build a relationship with them, and ultimately close deals.
Most high-profile deals are closed via email. It makes email marketing one of the most useful tactics in digital marketing, especially B2B marketing.
However, to succeed in email marketing as a startup, it is expedient for you to put in place some email list-building strategies that will continue to nurture your leads and clients for as long as possible.
You don’t need to be tech-savvy to start building an email list and start sending email newsletters, as there are software tools put in place that will help you set up in minutes.
Here are some of the most effective email list-building strategies or steps to take, and make the most of your email marketing journey now and beyond.
1. Register Your Domain Name
Nothing is more professional than a personalized email address using your very own domain name. Hence, registering a domain name is the first step when creating and building an email list.
You can choose to register any name that fits your career, brand, or business. But take your time to think it thorough, so you don’t end up registering the wrong domain.
Once that’s done, the next step will be to create a mailbox for your email address to send and receive email newsletters.
At this juncture, we would like to advise starting businesses to avoid using generic email addresses to send newsletters. Instead, use a professional email to carry out your email sending activities.
Using freemail email domains (like Gmail or Yahoo) will hurt your email deliverability amongst other negative impacts. Your email domain has a reputation among the inbox service providers.
List of items required:
- Register your domain name with less than $10 on Dreamhost or Namecheap.
- Set up your professional mailbox with less than $2-5 monthly on any of the following email hosting providers:
2. Create A Landing Page For Your Newsletter
The next line of action is to create a landing page for your newsletter and connect your domain to it. Your landing page is where your leads will arrive and enter their contact details like email addresses, mobile phone numbers, and so on.
A landing page, also known as a lead capture page, is a single web page designed to build a contact list. A landing page is okay for small businesses that do not want a website or a blog.
Landing pages can help you increase your list growth rate by an average of 36%. Growing businesses can use landing pages to promote their limited-time offers or sell a specific product.
Furthermore, a landing page will increase your business’ credibility, help you build your email list, help you convert visitors into leads (subscribers), and, finally, to customers.
To create a landing page, we will recommend you use the GetResponse Free-Forever plan.
The GetResponse Free-Forever plan is a complete marketing solution for all starting businesses who want to get their businesses online.
With GetResponse Free-Forever plan, you can:
- Create and publish a customizable landing page with basic features.
- Create your design or choose from over 100 free landing page templates.
- Connect a custom domain name to your landing page.
- Send unlimited newsletters and use basic email marketing tools inside the email creator.
- Collect leads with various types of forms on your landing page.
- Test and utilize account premium features for 30 days
3. Add Subscription Forms To Your Website Or Blog
A subscription form is an HTML form installed on a website to enable visitors to sign up.
There are different kinds of forms WordPress users can use to collect information on their websites. For example, feedback forms, subscription forms, payment forms, RSVP forms, and so on.
You can add these forms to strategic areas on your website for visitors to see and engage. For Instance, adding it as a pop-up, sidebar, or floating bar will increase sign-up rates if well utilized.
For WordPress site owners, we will recommend some useful tools you need for successful email marketing like:
- WPForms – A drag & drop WordPress form builder that allows you to create all types of forms for your site in minutes, not hours.
- OptinMonster – A powerful lead generation tool that helps you convert and monetize your website traffic. Activate it to grow your email list, get more leads and increase sales.
- MailPoet – A powerful newsletter plugin for WordPress sites for sending emails and instant blog post notifications to subscribers.
4. Make Your Newsletter A Valuable Product
After creating a landing page, and have started collecting email leads, you will want to begin sending out newsletters. But before you do that, treat your newsletter as a product and communicate the benefits of using it.
People like information when it is presented to them in an interesting format. And not providing valuable information can lead to low email-open rates, high unsubscription rates, etc.
Prospects love valuable offers. When you provide value for your contacts, you will see higher conversion and engagement rates. The three ways to achieve this include:
- Focusing on your target audience
- Making your offers useful
- Engaging with your contacts and asking for feedbacks
5. Promote Your Newsletter Like A Product
Promoting your newsletter like a product is one of the unfailing email list-building strategies to implement when aiming for conversions and engagement rates.
There are several ways to promote your newsletters. One of the easiest ways is to share it on social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Once you have your landing page in place, you can promote your newsletter on the following:
- Websites and blogs
- Social media pages
- Online conferences and events
- PPC campaigns
- Partnerships and sponsored posts etc.
6. Create Lead Magnets
A lead magnet is anything valuable that you can offer your target audience in exchange for their contact information. The goal of the lead magnet is to incentivize subscription and maximize the number of targeted leads captured via a web form.
For example, at Temydee Digital, we are offering a free WordPress blog setup for startups as our lead magnet. Yours could be offering irresistible discounts on certain products and services on your online store and so on.
Some of the best lead magnet examples include:
- Educational materials such as free online courses on a particular subject
- Resource kit for business growth
- free support or setups
- free sample products for testing
- Buy one get-one-free products etc.
Creating a list-building funnel with lead magnets has been proven successful by marketers. You can also adopt this strategy by setting up a well-designed landing page, a lead magnet funnel, setting up autoresponders, and promoting it with Facebook Ads or Google My Business Ads.
If you ain’t used to crafting irresistible lead magnets, you can learn more about what lead magnets are, and how to implement them in your marketing strategy.
7. Offer Giveaways
Offering occasional or regular Giveaways is another unique email list-building strategy marketers often use. Present the benefits of joining your email list through contests.
Go beyond the usual ‘sign up for our newsletter‘ by simply providing a few reasons to do so. Based on you type of business, come up with different incentives, like a loyalty program, exclusive merch, or contest and test which one proves to be most effective.
Occasionally, we offer Giveaways in exchange for building our email lists and so much more by using this effective tool called RafflePress.
RafflePress is the best WordPress giveaway software on the market. With RafflePress, you can grow your email list, boost your website traffic, and social media followers with viral giveaways and contests.
8. Host Webinars For Your Target Audience
Webinars are one of the most effective ways to build your contact list and generate leads. The Idea is simple – You offer valuable information to everyone who signs up for your newsletter using webinars. Connect to your audiences by hosting regular webinars.
Webinars (web-based seminars) are live events designed for collaboration and interaction, like chatting, polls, and Q&A. You can adopt this marketing strategy to build your email list when introducing your products and services to new prospects.
To achieve this, we will recommend using GetResponse Webinars.
With GetResponse webinars, you can:
- Connect the webinar software to your landing page.
- Host up to 1,000 live attendees.
- Promote your brand and all other marketing activities.
- Send event reminders via emails.
- Interact and engage with your audience.
- Share the stage with two other of your team members or presenters.
- Collect contact information from registrants.
- Store up to 20 hours of webinar recordings.
- Expand your reach by live streaming your webinar on Facebook and YouTube.
- Monetize your webinars through paid registration.
- Run an online course.
A carefully planned webinar content will certainly attract your target audience. Also, you can promote your webinars via other online marketing channels to maximize outreach.
Email list-building is an essential part of your business growth. It is a must-have online customer acquisition system in email marketing. With all the strategies mentioned above, you can double your daily email signups and revenue over time.
Your business will flourish if you do not rely on referrals alone because referrals from your network do not always last.
Most successful business owners, entrepreneurs, and marketers do not rely only on referrals. They create an email list-building strategy that predictably drives new leads and ideal clients. Join the success bandwagon too.
If you have any questions regarding strategies to adopt for building a successful email list, feel free to drop them in the comment box below.
PS: Request for our email marketing services if you don’t have time for setup and management.