Do you want to embark on the business of selling online courses and wondering which of the course platforms – (MemberPress courses and Teachable) is best for you to use?
This comparison or review is worth your time taking a good look into, especially for offline educators who are planning on starting an online course business.
There are two ways you can sell courses online. It’s either you sign up as an instructor on third-party platforms to create and sell courses, or you have your self-hosted e-learning website.
The most popular third-party e-learning management platforms are Udemy, Teachable, Skillshare, Thinkific, Kajabi, to mention but a few.
Choosing any of these platforms will depend on your goals (be it long-term or short-term basis). Also, by knowing what each of these course creation platforms (otherwise known as LMS) offers, you will be able to choose which will be suitable for you and your students.
In this in-depth guide, we will be comparing only one of these third-party course platforms, Teachable, alongside one of the best independent course creation management tools – MemberPress Courses.
We will look at their benefits, features and, pricing. And lastly, help guide you to choose which LMS solution is best to create and sell your courses. Let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
- MemberPress vs. Teachable: A Quick Overview
- All About Teachable
- All About MemberPress Courses
- The Verdict: Which One Should You Choose?
Overview of MemberPress Courses And Teachable
Before we go into the main details of what each LMS solution has to offer for both course creators and their students, let’s quickly see a quick comparison between the two online course-building platforms.
|LMS||Use Case||WordPress Plugin||Price|
|Teachable||Third-party LMS solution for course creators with or without having a website.||No||$348/year|
|MemberPress||A Standalone LMS solution that works with a WordPress site||Yes||$179/year|
Let’s start with Teachable.
Teachable is one of the most used third-party learning management systems for creating and selling educational content by course creators and other small businesses.
Using Teachable allows you to engage with your students and earn more by creating and selling online courses, let’s you offer coaching services with workshops and webinars.
Teachable allows creative entrepreneurs like you to thrive on an already-built platform to scale your online courses business. You don’t need to worry about writing any line of code, or marketing, or administration. Teachable does all that for you, so you can concentrate well on creating interactive online courses for your students.
Main Teachable Features:
Teachable is a readily-built platform with an easy-to-use feature in place for content creators to hop on. You can start creating and selling online courses and coaching services in a matter of minutes.
The platform already has almost 90% of the configurations set up for you. All you have to do is signup, name your online school where your courses will be hosted, and onboard your courses that will take an unlimited number of students right away!
With Teachable, you can offer coupons and advanced pricing options, including subscriptions, memberships, one-time payments, bundles, and more for your students.
Also, you can use Teachable’s affiliate marketing tools to promote your business and pay them too.
In addition, course creators who already have existing websites can easily link to their Teachable account using a custom domain. It means you can either set up a branded or unbranded membership website for your online classes.
Educators won’t have to bother about sales page creations, payments, marketing, customization, amongst other stuff.
Other Teachable features include;
- Provision of unlimited tools to promote your courses
- Creation of engaging course and coaching sessions with a rich editor tool
- Drip course content on the basic plan and above
- Email and affiliate marketing integrations
- Offering one-on-one sessions with students
- Unlimited bandwidth for videos
- Unlimited courses for students
- Engaging students with quizzes and course completion certificates
- Support for onboarding team members, course instructors
- Analytics dashboard to track sales, student insights, and more
- Accept payments in over 130+currencies including PayPal
- Provision for 100% protection of your data 24/7
Teachable offers unlimited courses and students on all monthly and yearly plans. Their packages include Free, Basic, Pro and, Business. However, the free plan has limited features, and as a result, you can’t monetize your courses to the fullest with it.
The basic plan starts at $39 per month. The basic plan enables you to set up unlimited courses and host as many students as you need but still with limited features like;
- No access to the integrated affiliate program to promote your courses
- No Zapier integration, graded quizzes, advanced reports, nor course completion certificates, and many more.
Asides from Teachable’s Basic monthly plans, you get to pay transaction charges of 5% for each course sale.
While Pro and Business plans are $119 and $299 per month respectively, however, note that you’ll receive a slight discount if you’re willing to pay for full-year upfront for all Teachable plans.
That’s all for Teachable for now. Now let’s take a look at MemberPress!
About MemberPress Courses
MemberPress is a membership WordPress plugin and a standalone Learning management system (LMS) add-on that provides ease-of-use access to creating, selling, and managing online courses.
MemberPress enables WordPress users to create virtual classes, quizzes, and dynamic content with built-in marketing and eCommerce features.
With the MemberPress Courses add-on, you can effortlessly build all kinds of courses for your students with or without any technical skills. MemberPress gives you the freedom to monetize your courses the way you want it.
MemberPress Courses Ease of Use
Just like Teachable, MemberPress is also quite easy to use. If you are very familiar with WordPress, and already have a WordPress site, all you need to do is purchase the WordPress plugin, install, and activate the MemberPress Courses add-on, and you are good to go!
The MemberPress Courses add-on gives you more configuration options than Teachable unless you don’t just want to have anything to do with WordPress.
But it pays to have a WordPress site cos it makes you have full control of your online course business and some other activities.
At the click of a button, the MemberPress core functionality wizard tool will help you set up the necessary pages such as dynamic pricing pages, and other configurations to start creating courses within minutes after installation.
Once installation is complete, you can add your course lessons using the MemberPress editor right from your WordPress dashboard.
MemberPress has numerous features asides from adding advanced membership functionality to your WordPress websites such as having multiple membership levels, processing payments, managing subscriptions, and much more.
You can achieve the following with the MemberPress Courses add-on;
- Develop a curriculum, and add lessons with the visual online course builder.
- Drip contents (timed release of content) and content access expiration.
- Create rich, multimedia e-learning lessons with videos, audio, webinars, and so on.
- Set up and manage multiple types of subscriptions for your courses.
- Create content protection rules to restrict access to your lessons.
- Enable one-off payments for specific courses.
- Create paid membership levels to monetize your courses.
- Sell digital downloads, VIP access, and more.
- Run promotions, and giveaways with coupons.
- Integrated affiliate, and email marketing.
- Seamless integrations with Zoom, and other CRM apps.
- And lots more!
MemberPress operates an annual licensing subscription model. With plans to choose from, such as the Basic starting at $149 per year with unlimited features.
Other plans like Plus and Pro come in at $249 per year and $349 per year, respectively, making even MemberPress’ most expensive option more affordable than Teachable’s Basic plan.
The Basic plan is good for beginners who are just getting started with their first membership and courses site.
Also, unlike Teachable, with MemberPress courses, no commission fees are charged outside of your payment gateway of choice. You have complete ownership and control of all your content.
The Verdict – MemberPress vs. Teachable: Which is best?
While Teachable can be an easy e-learning platform to sign up with to create and sell courses, there are still some factors worth putting into consideration for startups such as,
- Pricey packages on Standard, and Pro plans
- Commission charges on the Basic plan
MemberPress, on the other hand, is a self-independent LMS solution, which works seamlessly with the internet’s most popular Content Management System (CMS) – WordPress. You will have complete control of your e-learning business when you build it with WordPress.
Other few reasons to choose MemberPress Courses over Teachable:
- It’s very scalable with no restrictions.
- Affordable and very easy to set up.
- No slashing of payments on course sales – It’s all yours!
- You can make any change that you want to your site without nobody’s permission.
- Implementation of other monetization methods.
- You own 100% of your data and content.
Whatever your level of experience, Membership courses add-on features are put in place to accommodate your needs.
What do you think of our comparison? Feel free to drop your comments below.